NLnet Labs has a small and dedicated group of people working at the Amsterdam Science Park, a thriving hub for ICT, life sciences, research and science. Our mission is to provide globally recognised innovations and expertise for those technologies that turn a network of networks into an open Internet for all. Practically, this means we live and breathe Open Source Software, Open Standards, DNS, BGP and IP addressing. You can read more about what we do and our history.
Our organisation has a rich heritage that we treasure. Our contributions to the fundaments of the Internet, both in software and in guidance, are widely respected. The choices we make with regards to our software are not solely governed by what our users desire, but also whether the functionality serves the Internet as a whole, and respects the security and privacy of its users.
The team consists of self-starters with a sense of ownership; people who know what needs to be done and don't need a lot of hands-on management. When working at NLnet Labs you'll get a lot of autonomy to arrange your work in a way that makes you happy and most productive. We value our politics-free working environment and try to keep the amount of meetings to an absolute minimum. Apart from a short stand-up on Monday morning and the occasional strategy or knowledge sharing session, we aim to let you do what you do best.
The NLnet Labs offices are in a shared office space, called the Matrix Innovation Center. You won't find any beanbags around our office space, nor a pinball machine. However, we do have giant 3D-printed LEGO flowers in a pot, an astrophysics experiment hanging from the ceiling and lots of assorted hardware to get your geek on to run experiments and tests.
If this is something that excites you, then working with us will give you an excellent opportunity to be at the core of developments in the area of Internet architecture. We're currently hiring a Software Developer.
For all of our posts, there are certain things we always look for in an applicant:
- A good knowledge of both written and spoken English
- An interest in Internet technologies and standards
- An affinity with Unix-like OSs, as well as Open Source Software
- The ability to learn quickly
We will mention the specific qualifications or experience required in each job description. For most posts, you do not need to speak Dutch; we will mention it in the advert where it is necessary.
We offer various secondary benefits. These include:
- 29 days vacation, plus public holidays
- 100% sickness benefit for first year – no 'waiting days' deducted
- Contributing 75% of your pension premium, plus €25 per month
- 8% vacation allowance
- Internet connectivity reimbursement
- Commute expenses reimbursed 100%
- Working part-time is negotiable for most positions
In addition, there are several benefits of working for a small, tech-savvy organisation, such as:
- Providing you with a laptop or desktop computer of your choice
- Running any OS and software you prefer to get the job done
- The ability to occasionally work remotely, if needed
- The opportunity to attend industry events that make you better at your job
- If you are moving from abroad, you may be elibigle for the 30% tax ruling