unbound and meson build

Sami Kerola kerolasa at iki.fi
Mon Jan 8 12:37:07 UTC 2018

On 8 January 2018 at 11:07, W.C.A. Wijngaards via Unbound-users
<unbound-users at unbound.net> wrote:
> On 07/01/18 21:08, Sami Kerola via Unbound-users wrote:
>> Hello Wouter, and others,
>>
>> Would Unbound project be interested moving away from hand-written
>> Makefile.am and other autotool stuff to meson? Here is a preview
>> (hopefully to future) how things could look with meson:
>
> Thanks for the offer and sample code.  However, no, we are not looking
> for a new build system.
>
> Meson has heavy build requirements (python3 and ninja are listed), and
> this may not work for FreeBSD base system.  We already avoid build
> dependencies on gmake, and gcc.
>
> Otherwise, the autoconf system neatly fits onto package managers'
> systems and expectations.  We also worry about all built details for
> compromises and portability fixes that we had accrued so far that would
> be lost.  We appreciate a build system that may be better, but are
> invested in the legacy system for now...

Fair enough. I'll keep dead branch in my repo just in case one day
someone finds this thread and wonders what this was about.

Meanwhile, autotooling could be improve but I feel less enthustiastic
spending time with that.

Cheers, thanks for stopping more effort to go waste.

--
Sami Kerola
http://www.iki.fi/kerolasa/