wildcard dnssec test fails

Viktor Dukhovni ietf-dane at dukhovni.org
Tue Dec 19 06:08:50 UTC 2017

On Fri, Dec 15, 2017 at 11:40:38AM +0100, W.C.A. Wijngaards wrote:

> Yes it is the compiler.  Clang fails, gcc succeeds.  I can make clang
> succeed with a small code change together with the removal of -O2
> (disabling clang's optimizer).
>
> The code change is instead of if(incep - expi > 0) ..fail..  it now has
> var=incep-expi; if(var > 0) ..fail..

The original coded uses non-portable undefined overflow behaviour
for signed integer arithmetic.  The compiler is free to replace
"incep - expi > 0" with "incep > expi".  The intermediate "var"
may in some cases avoid the problem, but this is still brittle
under optimization.  To avoid non-deterministic behaviour unsigned
arithmetic must be used:

    uint32_t incep;
    uint32_t expi;

    /*
     * In serial number arithmetic a > b iff as unsigned integers mod 2^32
     * we have (a - b) < (b - a)
     */
    if ((incep - expi) < (expi - incep)) {
	... fail ...
    }

The same code should be used for SOA comparisons.

--
	Viktor.