Setup client to remote control another Unbound server

Fongaboo unbound at fongaboo.com
Fri May 20 22:30:12 UTC 2016

I have (the stock*) Unbound running on FreeBSD 10. I have unbound-control
setup on the Unbound server itself and am successfully controlling via
localhost.

But I have another machine connected to the server via a backend
connection on the 10.x.x.x private network. I want to run unbound-control
on that machine and control the remote (albeit one backend hop away)
server.

I've been looking at docs and tutorials, and it's not clear what has to be
configured where for this scenario.

I've run unbound-control on the remote client and it complains that I have
no unbound.conf file. But is that file ONLY for the configuration of a
server? Would I need to have an unbound.conf file on the client machine?

A couple things are not clear to me... Do I run unbound-control-setup on
the client machine? I assume I'd have to copy keys to the server? But if
so, how do I store them and refer to them without breaking my localhost
control for unbound-control on the server itself?

I tried adding 'control-interface: <server backend IP>' to the
remote-control section of unbound.conf on the server. I interpreted this
to be that it should listen for control connections on that interface. But
I got:

[1463783089] unbound-control[83533:0] error: connect: Connection refused for <server IP>

I suppose I might have some firewall concerns. But before I go off on that
tangent, I'd just like to get straight:

1) Do I run unbound-control on the client machine?
2) What should I have in unbound.conf on the client machine (if at all)?
3) What should I have in unbound.conf on the server?
4) What key exchanging and referencing (in config files) do I need to keep
control with unbound-control going on both the remote client and localhost?

TIA

  shot through the heart              ooh baby do you know what that's worth
  and you're to blame                         ooh heaven is a place on earth
  darling you give love                  they say in heaven love comes first
  a bad name                              we'll make heaven a place on earth
  ORBITAL                                                     "Halcyon Live"