message is bogus, non secure rrset with Unbound as local caching resolver

Jan Komissar (jkomissa) jkomissa at cisco.com
Thu Mar 3 15:21:19 UTC 2016

It does seem that the CD bit is the key to this: RFC4035 3.2.2 talks about
it (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4035#section-3.2.2), mainly:

<snip>
The name server side of a security-aware recursive name server MUST
   pass the state of the CD bit to the resolver side along with the rest
of an initiating query, so that the resolver side will know whether
   it is required to verify the response data it returns to the name
   server side.  If the CD bit is set, it indicates that the originating
   resolver is willing to perform whatever authentication its local
   policy requires.  Thus, the resolver side of the recursive name
   server need not perform authentication on the RRsets in the response.
   When the CD bit is set, the recursive name server SHOULD, if
   possible, return the requested data to the originating resolver, even
   if the recursive name server's local authentication policy would
   reject the records in question.  That is, by setting the CD bit, the
   originating resolver has indicated that it takes responsibility for
   performing its own authentication, and the recursive name server
   should not interfere.

</snip>

Just FYI,

Jan.