Forward being overwritten by Control cmd Forward on Restart

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Tue Dec 20 21:22:09 UTC 2016

On 20-12-16 20:47, Linkcheck via Unbound-users wrote:
> I'm a new Unbound user, running on linux Mint 17.3.
>
> Took me a while finding how to set everything up but now down to one
> question (I think!). All seems ok except forwarding.
>
> I set up a few forward-addr lines such as...
>
> forward-zone:
> name: "."
> forward-addr: 193.183.98.154 # opennic (IT)
> forward-addr: 87.98.175.85 # opennic (FR)
> forward-addr: 5.9.49.12 # opennic (DE)
> forward-addr: 5.135.183.146 # opennic (FR)
> etc...
>
> When I restart unbound the log shows...
>
> Dec 20 19:36:10 unbound[54448:0] info: start of service (unbound 1.4.22).
> Dec 20 19:36:11 unbound[54448:0] debug: new control connection from
> 127.0.0.1 port 34804
> Dec 20 19:36:11 unbound[54448:0] info: control cmd:  forward
> 208.67.220.220 208.67.222.222
>

> The problem is: the last line in the log shows the control cmd
> over-writing the forward IPs I set up with those from the Wired
> Connection IPv4 DNS servers list, so that my defined forward IPs are
> over-written.
>
> I am reluctant to remove the Wired Connection IPs (and why should I?).
>
> I can prevent the over-write by disabling Remote Control
> (control-enable: no).
>
> The control cmd must be generated by something but I cannot discover what.

The unbound package on ubuntu has some triggers included for resolvconf.
These triggers will add the upstream resolvers from dhcp to your config.
I don't know which ubuntu version your mint is based on, but you might
get wiser by looking at /etc/default/unbound, especially the  variable.

> I am also a little confused as to the port number in the log line...
>
> debug: new control connection from 127.0.0.1 port 34804

This is the source port that is used by the client (i.e.
unbound-control) to connect to unbound. It is indeed a just random port.

> Can I assume this is an arbitrary port from which unbound was started?
>
> I'm not sure what other information you require but as a start,
> resolv.conf contains only 127.0.0.1. I am not, at the moment, enabling
> any of the unbound trust features - those are my next task.

Kind regards,
	Tom