Trusted upstream resolver

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Nov 3 13:57:14 UTC 2015

Hi John,

On 29/10/15 17:29, Woodworth, John R via Unbound-users wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I am involved in a scenario where a satellite link is being used
> to serve an office and latency is of great concern.
>

> The problem at hand is CNAME resolution which is followed by
> validation of provided A records.  I understand that under normal
> conditions the A records provided with the initial CNAME response
> can lead to cache poisoning so they are validated from an
> authority.  However, this leads to doubling the lookup time which
> typically exceeds 1.5 seconds. Although the difference may seem
> trivial the additional ~650ms becomes very noticeable by the end
> users.  I’ve provided a short example below.
>

> 0.001 [Client]->[Resolver]->A?www.example.com
>
> 0.002       [Resolver]->X[Auth]->A?www.example.com
>
> 0.758       [Auth]->X[Resolver]->CNAME:www2.example.com+1.2.3.4
>
> 0.761       [Resolver]->X[Auth]->A?www2.example.com
>
> 1.622       [Auth]->X[Resolver]->A:1.2.3.4
>
> 1.625 [Resolver]->[Client]->A:1.2.3.4
>

> NOTE: X == Satellite Link
>

> My thought is to use another nameserver at the other end of the
> link which can provide this validation feature but is “trusted” by
> the near-end nameserver server reducing the RTT for local clients.
> As an aside, the far-end nameserver already exists for other
> purposes.  I’ve provided a short example of this idea below.
>

> 0.001 [Client]->[Resolver]->A?www.example.com
>
> 0.002       [Resolver]->X[Resolver2]->A?www.example.com
>
> 0.288             [Resolver2]->[Auth]->A?www.example.com
>
> 0.290
> [Auth]->[Resolver2]->CNAME:www2.example.com+1.2.3.4
>
> 0.292             [Resolver2]->[Auth]->A?www2.example.com
>
> 0.301             [Auth]->[Resolver2]->A:1.2.3.4
>
> 0.655       [Resolver2]->X[Resolver]->A:1.2.3.4
>
> 0.659 [Resolver]->[Client]->A:1.2.3.4
>

> NOTE: X == Satellite Link
>

> Is there a configuration option I am overlooking to disable these
> A record validations (from Resolver to Resolver2)?

No, there is no option to disable the CNAME checks.  The trust in the
other nameserver is by the way not enough reason to have used such an
option, it is protection against inserted spoofed packets here that
has mandated the checks.

Consider enabling prefetch: yes   (and prefetch-key: yes) in
unbound.conf, for commonly asked queries that will make it prefetch a
couple seconds before expiry to refresh the cache entry, and that
should be enough to hide this latency for a larger number of queries.

Another option, but less desirable, is cache-min-ttl where you can
force entries to stay in the cache for a longer time (i.e. that CNAME
was from a CDN with very short TTLs).

Best regards, Wouter