[Unbound-users] forward zone order

Will Yardley unbound at veggiechinese.net
Wed Jan 14 01:10:45 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 09:50:32PM -0800, Will Yardley wrote:

> I had expected that the behavior would be to prefer the first in the
> list, however, from a couple things I noticed today, I'm not so sure.
>
> My config is as follows:
>
> forward-zone:
>         name: "zen.spamhaus.org"
>         forward-addr: 127.0.0.1 at 3768
>         forward-addr: xx.xx.xx.xx

I verified that a significant amount of traffic is being sent to the
second forwarder. Short of using external software or setting up an
internal load-balanced VIP, is there any way with unbound to prefer a
specific forwarder (in this case, the local one), except as a failover?

For DNSBL lookups, would I be better off using stub zones instead of
forwarders (the dnsbl servers are authoritative), and would the behavior
be any different then?