[Unbound-users] DNS poisoning - any ideas how this can happen?

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Feb 10 09:18:44 UTC 2015

Hi Martin,

Looking through that forum thread, I see that unbound's cache contains
bad items and that the NS records for com, net org edu are point to
nsX.csof.net.  And I wonder if unbound is getting cache poisoned or if
your 'upstream resolver' or upstream captive-resolver (i.e. the
8.8.8.8 has been hijacked by your ISP and is serviced by other
software) is getting cache poisoned.

The unbound logs should tell you if you enable verbose logging (I
would recommend level 4, or perhaps level 5 so you can see who
requests those bad domain names in your network).  Or when unbound is
misbehaving dig @8.8.8.8 from a box with similar routing, and see if
those responses have been cache poisoned.

When I try to resolve api-nyc01.exip.org here I see unbound complain
that it has to remove potential poisonous DNS RRsets from the answers.
 It does so and is not poisoned:

reply from <exip.org.> 54.77.72.254#53
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, rcode: NOERROR, id: 26841
;; flags: qr aa ; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 4
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;; api-nyc01.exip.org.	IN	A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
api-nyc01.exip.org.	10	IN	A	195.22.26.248

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
org.	172800	IN	NS	ns1.csof.net.
org.	172800	IN	NS	ns2.csof.net.
org.	172800	IN	NS	ns3.csof.net.
org.	172800	IN	NS	ns4.csof.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.csof.net.	100	IN	A	54.77.72.254
ns2.csof.net.	100	IN	A	212.6.183.201
ns3.csof.net.	100	IN	A	195.22.26.199
ns4.csof.net.	100	IN	A	54.72.8.183

Humourously (if you think this is funny), it could be a
misconfiguration and bad DNS ISP practices interfering here.  Some
domain hosters serve .org and .com zones and they have *.com and *.org
wildcards on those servers.  Thus they do not reconfigure their DNS
servers when they buy or sell a domain.  But that produces these types
of 'poisonous' answers.  Badly written DNS software could then get DNS
cache poisoned as a result.  Unbound should not get DNS cache
poisoned, there is explicit fixup code for this.

Because setting different upstream IP forwarders changes the outcome,
I think it may be the upstream DNS server that gets cache poisoned
(after a lookup of one of these affected domains), and some ISPs
interpose all DNS traffic with their own DNS servers, that may be
getting poisoned or maybe only traffic to 'popular' DNS sites.  I
doubt google DNS itself is getting cache poisoned, but it is a
technical possibility.

Best regards,
   Wouter