[Unbound-users] Random subdomain flood query

Daisuke HIGASHI daisuke.higashi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 17:34:48 UTC 2015

> However, you can maintain local zone list in unbound automatically fairly
> easily, we have been doing it for over a year with minimal necessity of
> manual intervention. If you wish, have a look at the attached perl script.

unbound-bloomfilter's attack detection mechanisms implement almost
same thing as your script.
I used public suffix list (source code embedded, currently)  to
determine depth of blocking domain
which corresponds to your "third_level_domains.conf".

Note that the bloomfilter itself is a way to reduce collateral damage
caused by filtering.
Of course to reduce damage caused by wrong (false positive) filtering and
to accept legitimate queries for the filtered domain

> The only other option is to persuade the users of  the compromised machines
> to clean their systems.

I agree.

Regards,
--