[Unbound-users] High number of system context switches

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Thu Nov 13 20:42:43 UTC 2014

Just a follow up to myself, and a big thank you to unbound!

It turned out our virtual DNS-servers were struggeling with a
cpu in 100% softirq, processing incoming packets. This could only run on
one cpu, so we had no way of scaling this out. Newer virtio-net has
up to 8 queues, to scale this over more cpus, but that's not available
on RHEV-H, so we've moved our DNS-servers over to physical hosts.

Still we've been struggeling with the performance of Bind on these
physical servers. Once the primary DNS-server hit ~17-20K qps, we've
notice clients started moving to the secondary server -- but we could
never see anything wrong on the server side.

Yesterday we put unbound (from EPEL6) on the primary dns-server, and
immediately saw a huge effect ! This single server is now answering >30K
qps during prime time, and the secondary server doesn't really have any
peaks anymore -- clients are no longer failing over to secondary.

We're still seeing ~300K cswch/s on this server, which was a bit
worrying initially, but doesn't seem to be any problem yet.. Will
probably be OK for now, until we upgrade to RHEL7 with libevent-2 which
was mentioned might help..

  -jf