[Unbound-users] unbound fail to resolve a PTR

A. Schulze sca at andreasschulze.de
Thu Jun 26 22:35:56 UTC 2014

W.C.A. Wijngaards:

> Here is the same patch for 1.4.22.  The difference is in worker.c,
> libworker.c, libworker.h, and worker_cb.c files, which had changed in
> svn trunk.
Wouter, you're a hero!

> This passes regression tests for me.
I don't know what "regression tests" do in detail but at the end of the day
the patch apply clean and I could compile. But after activating
"use-caps-for-id" again
unbound still fail to resolve 224.243.93.193.in-addr.arpa. PTR on
*some* of my systems.

But these systems in question show other issues too.
We had a major update on our firewall. Allmost everything work but
just now I could not resolve
some other hosts (again PTRs)

$ dig tcmail13.telekom.de +short
80.149.113.165

$ dig -x 80.149.113.165 +short
165.160.113.149.80.in-addr.arpa.
tcmail13.telekom.de.

But on some systems I get SERVFAIL back. So I digged deeper and end up
with this:

$ dig @pns.dtag.de. 165.113.149.80.in-addr.arpa. PTR +short +norecurse
165.160.113.149.80.in-addr.arpa.

OK, a CNAME ...

$ dig @pns.dtag.de. 165.160.113.149.80.in-addr.arpa. PTR +norecurse
;; Question section mismatch: got 245.160.113.149.in-addr.arpa/PTR/IN

But only on udp transport. On TCP transport that gets the right answer.

So I would not rise the hand "it works" right now. I like to figure
out the error
(which I assume on my side) before saying finally "it works".

Andreas