[Unbound-users] Strange validation errors for proofs of non-existence in .com, .net, .org TLD (is it due to NSEC3 opt-out or I am missing some trust anchor?)

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Jan 3 08:01:29 UTC 2013

Hi Ondrej,

On 01/02/2013 06:31 PM, Ondrej Mikle wrote:
> i) Something has changed in the com/net/org TLD with the NSEC3
> around 3 months back, probably by setting the opt-out bit on NSEC3
> records or creating more gaps with NSEC3 records that have the
> opt-out bit set. I should have some old scan of .com TLD, but it'll
> take me some time to retrieve it and compare the records.
>
> ii) Some old version of unbound does not handle this case and sets
> the AD flag (see below).
>
> I am fairly sure that the com/net/org non-existent validation was
> "working" 3-4 months ago, some other people I asked remember it
> this way, too (I used it quite a lot for testing DNSSEC Validator
> and other SW). I wrote "working" in quotes because I'm not 100%
> sure if it was due to a change in the zones or a bug/missing
> feature in unbound or bind. Though I think bind did validate the
> nonexistent com/net/org domains as well back then.
>
>> The machine at 193.29.206.206 that sets the AD flag for optout
>> NSEC3 NXDOMAIN fails to implement RFC5155.
>
> I've just asked admins today and the 193.29.206.206 machine runs
> unbound 1.4.6-1 from Ubuntu Lucid.

So, it is a bug in an older version of unbound, which has already been
fixed (ii)?  Ah yes, in 1.4.7 there is this bugfix: Abide RFC5155
section 9.2: no AD flag for replies with NSEC3 optout.

> Does anyone know since when do the com/net/org NSEC3s have the
> opt-out bit set?

The authority servers are not the problem here, the older version of
unbound does not set the AD flag correctly for NXDOMAIN responses with
optout.

Best regards,
   Wouter