[Unbound-users] unbound: fatal error: services/outside_network.c:

Leo Bush leo.bush at mylife.lu
Fri Sep 28 13:14:56 UTC 2012

Dear all,

We use unbound since more than a year already with great satisfaction
and no issue for resolving 4 Mbps DNS traffic in average with DNSSEC
enabled.

We used to have unbound 1.4.14.
At the end of August suddenly unbound stopped to work. The process
killed itself with the following message in the logs:

/var/log/messages:Aug 28 19:35:22 hostname unbound: [7896:1] fatal
error: services/outside_network.c:1504: serviced_callbacks: pointer
whitelist fptr_whitelist_serviced_query(p->cb) failed

The machine was under no unusual CPU/Memory/Network load.

We thought, bad luck, started the process and everything was fine for
one week, when suddenly again the same thing. Fatal error.

/var/log/messages:Sep  6 14:20:20 hostname unbound: [1503:0] fatal
error: services/outside_network.c:1504: serviced_callbacks: pointer
whitelist fptr_whitelist_serviced_query(p->cb) failed

Then we thought about our version being too old and we upgraded to the
latest release unbound 1.4.18.

Now we are running unbound 1.4.18 since two weeks and today again:

/var/log/messages:Sep 28 13:59:53 hostname unbound: [1591:1] fatal
error: services/outside_network.c:1510: serviced_callbacks: pointer
whitelist fptr_whitelist_serviced_query(p->cb) failed

Sounds like a software bug?

kind regards

Leo Bush

By the way, even if I do not think it is related to this case, I would
like to report on the following behavior, that we note:
Several times a day we notice short peaks (<10 minutes) in outgoing
traffic (times 7). Even if the traffic is so much higher, we do not
notice a performance issue on the server. CPU and Ram are still fine.
DNS response times are fine too. A traffic analysis suggested a DNS
amplification attack where the question is for ANY isc.org. This attack
never was happening when unbound crashed.