[Unbound-users] Patch: wildcard for include: statement

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Thu Sep 27 09:25:34 UTC 2012

Hi Paul,

On 09/26/2012 09:58 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, Valentin Bud wrote:
>
>> Both patches work. I have built Unbound 1.4.18 on CentOS 6.3 and
>> it works. Thank you for this.
>
> Good, you can give karma to the upcoming unbound packages :)
>
>> I use Unbound in a (very) dynamic environment. I use
>> unbound-control(8) to load zones and data when clients connect to
>> the network. I plan to save the local zones and local data to
>> files so in case I restart Unbound or if it crashes some how I
>> have (quite) the latest information. I plan to write a cron
>> script to do this job on each Unbound machine.
>
> You have to be careful with this, as some data is pushed into
> unbound on demand. For instance, with openswan when you connect
> your VPN, the DNS entries for the DOMAIN received by XAUTH is added
> to unbound using unbound-control. It is also removed and flushed
> when the VPN tunnel goes down. This kind of data should not be
> permanently added.

The lexer file has a makefile rule to update the .c file for the
parser, but if you do not have flex/bison installed it then uses the
file that we shipped.

>> Of course I can use unbound-control list_local_data and redirect
>> the output to a file on disk. But when I update a remote Unbound
>> server that's not so easy. Yes, I can use an ssh connection and
>> run unbound-control, but that's not so nice :).
>
> This is why I added /etc/unbound/local.d/ You should be able to
> populate that directory using puppet or something similar.
>
> I also added /etc/unbound/conf.d/ and /etc/unbound/keys.d/ where
> you can put files in to be read by unbound on startup.

Thank you very much for the patch, I have applied it to svn trunk.
Small modification, call glob_free() on a glob error (to remove
partial glob results).

Best regards,
   Wouter