[Unbound-users] Unbound stops answering after ADSL-line bounce

Jan-Piet Mens jpmens.dns at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 12:04:28 UTC 2012

Hello Wouter,

> This has a timeout of x minutes (1-15).  After that your service
> should re-enable again.  If the downtime was under two minutes, you
> have to wait that amount of time for service to resume (exponential
> backoff used here).  If the downtime was longer, you may have to wait
> 15 minutes (infra-ttl config option) before service resumes to hosts
> that were probed to be 'down'.

If I understand you (and the man page) correctly, setting
`infra-host-ttl' to something like 10 seconds would mean that at most 10
seconds would elapse before Unbound starts querying dropped servers.
Maybe that would be a tolerable setting for a relatively low-volume SOHO
environment.

> If you want service to instantly go down and up with the line
> downtime, and you can notice the line-bounce via some other method,
> then you could use e.g. unbound-control flush_infra to resume traffic.

I'll certainly try that next time, although this will be difficult to
automate without continuously monitoring the line status.

Regards,

        -JP