[Unbound-users] Queries and responses "serialized" when using forwarder

Ondrej Mikle ondrej.mikle at nic.cz
Fri Feb 10 14:43:23 UTC 2012

Hi,

I've noticed that when I set forwarder in unbound or libunbound (via
forward-zone or ub_ctx_resolvconf, respectively), the resolution seems
to be always serialized, no matter what settings of *-slabs, threads or
target-fetch-policy is (i.e. "nicely" alternating query-response).
Without forwarder, requests seem to be parallelized, at least to some
extent.

I couldn't find any explanation for this behavior in documentation, RFCs
or googling.

For example, resolving A record of addons.mozilla.org using forwarder
looks like (latest unbound 1.4.16, empty cache):

 No. Time      Info
   5 0.731801  Standard query A addons.mozilla.org
   6 0.921957  Standard query response A 63.245.217.112 RRSIG
   7 0.922192  Standard query DNSKEY <Root>
   8 0.922689  Standard query response DNSKEY DNSKEY RRSIG
   9 0.923067  Standard query DS org
  10 0.956492  Standard query response DS DS RRSIG
  11 0.957263  Standard query DNSKEY org
  12 0.957761  Standard query response DNSKEY DNSKEY DNSKEY DNSKEY RRSIG
RRSIG
  13 0.957945  Standard query DS mozilla.org
  14 0.958194  Standard query response DS RRSIG
  15 0.958298  Standard query DNSKEY mozilla.org
  16 1.045979  Standard query response DNSKEY DNSKEY DNSKEY RRSIG RRSIG

For example, after retrieving response for "IN A addons.mozilla.org" we
know which zone to ask for DS and DNSKEY and could ask for DS and DNSKEY
for root, org and mozilla.org in parallel. Would that be against some
RFC, best practices or it's just not implemented for some other reason
(like me overlooking a reason why it wouldn't work in a general case)?

Why I am asking: on a slow line (e.g. mobile phone, Tor) the number of
necessary round-trips makes quite a difference.

Related question:
Suppose I'd want to work around this by hacking libunbound a bit -
client sends "IN A addons.mozilla.org" and receives all the necessary
packets for validation in the usual DNS format as if client's cache was
empty (DS a DNSKEY for root, org, mozilla.org).

One obvious issue is size: with a CDN that chains via CNAME/DNAME
through multiple zones, the response can be rather big.

Size aside, is there other issue that can make the implementation
difficult to do correctly? I've seen Adam Langley's DNSSEC-stapling
draft, but that's more complex since it tries to adress more issues at once.

Ondrej