[Unbound-users] redirect domain without sub domains?

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 23:38:52 UTC 2011

What I am trying to do. My windows domain has multiple domain
controllers. I'm uncertain that it is true but circumstances in the
past lead me to believe that the first address that comes up for the
domain name is the address that the client machines authenticate
against unless it fails then it tries the next. Anyways I want each of
my offices to only see the address of the domain controller closest to
it when it queries the domain name.

example:
the domain has the following computers
dc00.example.com A 192.168.0.1
dc01.example.com A 192.168.0.2
dc10.example.com A 192.168.1.1
dc11.example.com A 192.168.1.2
... many other non domain controllers

>nslookup example.com 192.168.0.1
Server: dc00.example.com
Address: 192.168.0.1

Name: example.com
Addresses: 192.168.1.2
192.168.0.2
192.168.0.1
192.168.1.1

I want all 192.168.0.x addresses to point to a dns server that I can
set up to only show closest DC addresses
so that when a 192.168.0.x machine makes a query that it gets an
answer similar to as follows
>nslookup example.com
Server: ns1.example.com
Address 192.168.0.3

Name: example.com
Addresses: 192.168.0.1
192.168.0.2

but if it queries some other machine in the domain it gets its address.