[Unbound-users] A Record Synthesis From Address-like Domain Names (dnscache behaviour)

Sabahattin Gucukoglu mail at sabahattin-gucukoglu.com
Fri Oct 7 09:09:52 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I just finished moving all my caches to Unbound from dnscache, and loving it.  It has so far two issues.  Here's the most important question.

Dnscache has the habit of translating address-like domains into addresses, for the benefit of MTAs delivering mail to MX records containing IP addresses instead of hostnames.  For example, the A record for the name '1.2.3.4.' is 1.2.3.4.

I know it's the world's worst hack of all time, but is there any way to get this with Unbound?  I'd like to interoperate with such domains, until I can make them fix their zones.  Yes, I will continue to look into making this possible with Postfix and XMail too, but DNS was a nice workaround.

Cheers,
Sabahattin