[Unbound-users] Unbound release 1.4.12

Gábor Lénárt lgb at lgb.hu
Mon Jul 18 13:44:56 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 02:45:27PM +0200, lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de wrote:
> >unbound 1.4.12 is here, with two moderate serious bugfixes.
> >http://www.unbound.net/downloads/unbound-1.4.12.tar.gz
> >sha1: c46c05d1fa2402a59c10f51864fd4c62d10a472f
> >sha256: d7f0ee340b8a62e3fe02e505fdf6f2e4742ae7eaf8fd1da200fb38c4947e2d66
> >
> >It has the ldns tarball removed from the unbound tarball.  If you used
> >- --with-ldns-builtin, you have to change your buildscripts, and use a
> >proper dependency on ldns.  (with --with-ldns=path you can use ldns
> >installed in a different location if necessary, e.g. due to different
> >libcrypto used, for home-users: --with-ldns=compile-dir-of-ldns works
> >too pointed at the build-dir of ldns).
>
> May i ask if it is really needed to exclude ldns from tarball? It
> was really handy to not download yet-another-tarball have a look at
> the checksums and move it to the right destination, than do
> configure/make for the libs and start over with unbound again. How
> many people actually need it to be excluded?

I agree. I prefer installing packages on a server, but for a DNS server, I
prefer to compile the DNS server software itself, so it can be optimized etc
etc. But now I have to compile ldns as well, since the one in the latest
Ubuntu (LTS version) server is "not recent enough" :( I compiled now ldns,
but unbound links to libldns now runtime, which - I guess - is not optimal,
since as far as I know shared libraries are PIC code, which causes some
performance loss (especially on 32 bit architecture because there is not
so much registers on 32 bit x86 platform). So even another difficulty now:
try to figure out how I can make unbound to use libldns.a instead of .so ...
Now I've modified libldns.la to have libldns.a as library_names but I guess
it's a very ugly solution and better way should exist ...

- Gábor