[Unbound-users] Benchmarking Unbound

Michael Watters wattersmt at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 19:02:19 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 1:10 PM, Eivind Olsen <eivind at aminor.no> wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to know some more details
> about that benchmarking? Such as:
> - was the queries done from the server itself? 1 external client? many
> external clients? And were the external clients connected to the same
> network as the server, perhaps connected to the same switch the server was
> using? 100Mbps? 1Gbps?
> - was it asking for locally cached data, or did the server need to go out
> and query for some external data? And what was the normal size of the
> replies?
> - what kind of hardware (especially CPU + speed) + OS was the server running?
>
> Regards
> Eivind Olsen

The servers I've been testing are Intel E4500s with 2 GB of RAM and
Intel gigabit NICs, they are only on 100 mbit ports however and are
routed to through Cisco IP SLA.

The test client is on an entirely separate subnet and is an 8 core
opteron box with an Intel NIC however I've also run queryperf from
multiple sources at once using virtual machines.

The actual queries in my data file are captured from real DNS traffic
in our data center, about 50% of the queries end up hitting the cache.
 I can see caching effects in my graphs as well.