[Unbound-users] Round Robin DNS

Simon Perreault simon.perreault at viagenie.ca
Sun Mar 21 14:08:52 UTC 2010

On 2010-03-21 08:52, Nipun sehrawat wrote:
> I want to set up a round robin DNS for load-balancing purposes.
>
> Is there a way I can configure Unbound to return a randomized/round-robin list?

This is not how you do it. DNS clients are expected to choose one record
at random for establishing connections. So the order in which the server
returns results has no impact. Unbound is right not to waste time
changing the order.

The right way to do DNS-based load balancing (if there is one!) is to
have the server return a subset of RR set. And Unbound doesn't have that
feature (which some might call a bug, and for valid reasons!).

Simon
--
DNS64 open-source   --> http://ecdysis.viagenie.ca
STUN/TURN server    --> http://numb.viagenie.ca