[Unbound-users] basic local zone use case, nslookup good, ping bad

Ben Iggulden ben.iggulden at lastmilexchange.com
Wed Jul 28 03:25:10 UTC 2010

Hello Unbound Users,

I'm running a server on my home network.  The server runs a wiki and
some other things.  I often work on a laptop which is sometimes
connected to the local network and sometimes external to it.

So I'd like the same URL to resolve no matter which network I happen to
be on at the time.  i.e. If I'm at home the IP is 192.168.10.231 (the
local one) and if I'm not then I need 59.167.236.119.

Enter 'unbound' which I installed to help me with this problem.

I've told the local network router that the machine running unbound is
the primary DNS:  192.168.10.231.

My servers.conf file:

server:

interface: 0.0.0.0

access-control: 192.168.10.0/16 allow

do-not-query-localhost: no

local-zone: "dev.lastmilexchange.com." redirect

local-data: "dev.lastmilexchange.com. IN A 192.168.10.231"

local-data-prt: "192.168.10.231 homedns"

server: div-anchor-file: "C:\[etc]"

And when I try to use this, nslookup is grand but ping is not.  Using
the browser to go to the wiki seems to suffer the same problem ping
does, though if I hit it via the local IP it's all good.

C:\>nslookup dev.lastmilexchange.com

Server:  homedns

Address:  192.168.10.231

Name:    dev.lastmilexchange.com

Address:  192.168.10.231

C:\>ping dev.lastmilexchange.com

Pinging dev.lastmilexchange.com [59.167.236.119] with 32 bytes of data:

Destination host unreachable.

Destination host unreachable.

Destination host unreachable.

Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 59.167.236.119:

Ps. All machines here are windows.  Yeh, I know.