[Unbound-users] Which operating system is more suitable to run unbound ?

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 09:03:39 UTC 2010

usk daemon wrote:
> Hi
>  We are ready to deploy a DNS server.As a DNS resolver, which is about
> 50 thousand users resolve DNS server (recursive, caching, etc.).
>  Hardware environment: two 4-core CPU, 8GB memory, Gigabit Ethernet
>  Previously, using bind9 + Solaris 10 x86. This is because, after the
> actual test, that  Bind9  runs on Solaris than running on FreeBSD
> provides higher performance,especially BIND9 run in multi-threaded
> mode.
>  Now, we want to use unbound. Do not know that the operating system
> more suitable for unbound provide higher performance and stability?
> Solaris 10 x86 is still Freebsd 7.3 or FreeBSD 8.1? 64-bit or 32-bit?
>  thank you!

I think that your performance question is moot, because here on linux
(Debian Squeeze, amd64) with 9000 concurrent users unbound eats approx.
5-6% CPU at peak time at lower-spec hardware. The CPU is Intel(R)
Pentium(R) Dual  CPU  E2200  @ 2.20GHz (two cores, each has 4399.60
bogomips), the server has 2 GB of RAM.

As for stability, I can't really judge, but we had no crashes yet.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov <patrakov at gmail.com>