[Unbound-users] Is there any memory leak in unbound?

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Tue Sep 8 15:00:09 UTC 2009

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009, Tao Ma wrote:

> I installed unbound 1.3.3 and found when the unbound is running,it use
> more and more memory..
> I even found it occupied 96% of memory and then was killed by the

> Sep  8 00:21:02 Dnsserv Out of memory: kill process 23999 (unbound) score

> I only specify some normal items in unbound.conf and it was shown bellow:
> server:

>         msg-cache-size: 4m
>         rrset-cache-size: 4m

Is this an embedded device with little memory? eg 16mb or 32mb?

The OOM killer might be killing the biggest memory consumer, which
not neccessarilly means that process is the one leaking memory.
unbound might be running stable at just over 8mb, and some other
process might be slowly allocating more memory over time, but still
end up using a smaller memory footprint, for which unbound takes the
blame (and the shot)

Paul