[Unbound-users] Feature request - detailed statistics about unbound

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue Sep 16 14:36:32 UTC 2008

Hi Jaco,

Well, the code is in svn r1239 of the trunk, it is untested (well, it
worked for me 5 minutes ago :-) ).
Still, if you want to beta test it, I would appreciate comments.

I changed to 'var=value' syntax.

> I assume we'll then also see
> num.query.type.{A,TXT,SPF,SRV,A6,NAPTR,PTR,DNSKEY,CNAME} etc.?

Yes.

Lines with =0 are omitted from the output, to avoid spamming
TYPE100..TYPE200=0 and CLASS123=0 lines.

> What would really rock is if you could have something like this:
>
> # /etc/init.d/unbound
> unbound [start|stop|force-reload|restart|status|dump|show|mrtg|cricket]
>
> # /etc/init.d/unbound dump
> thread0.num.queries=1234,thread0.requestlist.exceeded=0,etc.
>
> # /etc/init.d/unbound mrtg thread0.num.queries
> 1234
> 0
> 14.9 days
> Unbound daemon
>
> # /etc/init.d/unbound show thread0.num.queries
> thread0.num.queries=1234
>
> # /etc/init.d/unbound cricket thread0.num.queries
> 1234
>
> (this is what PowerDNS does...)

Well init.d scripts are part of contrib, and they sure could be modified
to provide this functionality.

the 'dump' format I understand (unbound-control stats | tr '\n' ',')
also the 'show' and 'cricket' formats are clear.
Why is it called 'cricket' ?

And I do not really understand the mrtg format, what do the additional
lines mean. I got lost on the mrtg site looking for the answer.

> When can you have a version ready for us to test? :-)

Right now, but I may want to change things still.

> Statistics is currently something stopping me from rolling out Unbound
> for my entire caching DNS platform...

I hope the extended-stats can help you there.  I added some memory (in
bytes) printouts as well, these values are cheap to compute and
informative of the state of the daemon.

Best regards,
   Wouter