[nsd-users] NSD answer apparently depends on case-pattern of question

Niall O'Reilly niall.oreilly at ucd.ie
Thu Oct 8 15:00:52 UTC 2015

  Hi.

  Zonemaster is giving me the following error message:

When asked for SOA records on "wWw.NO8.be" and "wwW.nO8.BE", nameserver ns1.no8.be/2001:770:13f::35:1 returns different answers.

  I believe that this is the only one (of three) authorities for
  no8.be which is running NSD.  I also believe that the answer should
  depend only on zone data, and not be "modulated" by differences
  between equivalent presentations of the question.

  I suspect a bug in NSD's code for building the answer.  Perhaps it's
  a known one already?

  The following script may help to visualize the behaviour.

-- snip --
#!/bin/sh

qnames="NO8.be nO8.BE wWw.NO8.be wwW.nO8.BE"
servers=`dig +norec +short @ns1.no8.be no8.be ns`

for name in $qnames
do
    for auth in $servers