[nsd-users] Disk Requirements for nsd4

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Fri Jun 27 10:26:50 UTC 2014

Hi Klaus,

On 06/27/2014 11:44 AM, Klaus Darilion wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I tested nsd-mem and it reports for my zone:
>
> summary 1.069.028.642 ram usage (excl space for buffers)
> 1.713.158.176 disk usage (excl 12% space claimed for growth)
>

> But I think 1,7GB is not sufficient. My nsd.db file is 1,744 GB,
> but I also need disk space for the incoming zone transfer (or for
> local storage of the zone file) which is in my case another 120MB.

Yes, if you want these files.

> Further, may it happen that nsd recreates the nsd.db file and
> during that process I need 2x 1,7GB disk size?

No, it would not need 2x 1.7Gb during the recreation of nsd.db.  Just
the 1.7Gb.  NSD4 would first truncate the nsd.db and then recreate it.

In the development version of NSD4 you can set database: "" in config
and then no nsd.db is created.  Thus 1.7Gb less usage, and the zone
contents are read and written from the zonefiles in text format.

> Final question: With nsd4 as slave, is it necessary or useful to
> have the zone file in text format on the server? Or asked in a
> different way: Is there any requirement or benefit of calling
> "nsd-control write" periodically?

If you are using an nsd.db, the text files are optional.  Only if you
prefer to have text files on your server.  It may save time and disk
space to not have the zone text files.

If you are not using an nsd.db file (database: "" setting) then you
must have text files, because that is what is used to store the data.
 By default NSD then enables a timer of about 1 hour that spools
changes to the zone files.

Best regards,
   Wouter