[nsd-users] NSD 4.0.1 unclean shutdown

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Jan 28 13:36:18 UTC 2014

On 28/01/2014 14:24, W.C.A. Wijngaards wrote:

Hi Wouter,

> We did update it in NSD4 for precisely this issue, but then for the
> 'server' processes.  The process that has the issue now is the reload
> process.  I'll have to take a good look at how I can make that one
> stop earlier (without trashing the nsd.db file).  Likely, you'll have
> to wait for 10-20 seconds in your case before it manages to kill off
> that long running reload process.

Waiting a while for NSD to finish shutting down is not a problem. For
example, when I shut down BIND, it usually takes 15-20 seconds for the
process to exit while it flushes journals and zones to disk. Similarly,
when I shut down Knot, it takes it several seconds to do its
housekeeping and free up allocated memory. So when my shutdown call
returns, I can be certain that the software has been fully shut down,
and there are no surprises.

> This reload process was handling a zone transfer in that directory,
> which is why it was not empty.  Thank you for that report, it explains
> earlier observations of the directory not empty.

You're welcome :)

Anand