[nsd-users] NSD not logging to SYSLOG

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Feb 17 09:14:09 UTC 2014

Hi Cam,

On 02/16/2014 07:27 AM, cam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Running NSD on OpenBSD 5.4, I notice that nsd does not log to
> SYSLOG unless it is run on the command line with the "-d -V 9"
> flags.
>
>> From the manpages:
> -l logfile Log messages to the specified logfile. The default is to
> log to stderr and syslog. If a zonesdir: is specified in the
> config file this path can be relative to that directory.
>
> Running it as a normal daemon with "-V 2" flags should
> theoretically log to SYSLOG but it is not the case. When running,
> no socket file is created in the /var/nsd/dev/ directory (even if I
> changed the permission to _nsd:_nsd), is this normal?
>
> Would appreciate any hint or help,

The chroot is likely the culprit.  With chroot: "" you disable that,
and try to see if that fixes the logging.

Syslog on OpenBSD may need something in the chroot to function
properly, perhaps as user root makedev a device node or open a
named-pipe in a directory and then tell syslog to connect to it; or
something along those lines.  If it does not have that, then NSD can
call the syslog call, but that routine cannot do anything.  Usually
this is performed by the rc.d/nsd startup scripts.  These scripts are
OS specific, and I guess the OpenBSD one does not setup the
prerequisites for syslog?

(That script should also setup for: timezone information (for printing
the time to the log), and randomness device (for entropy to see the
secure random generator); but again not all OSes need it because they
use a different implementation for those things).

Best regards,
   Wouter