[nsd-users] memory leak in 4.0.x

A. Schulze sca at andreasschulze.de
Tue Aug 5 12:47:47 UTC 2014

Will Pressly:

> My problem with reloading zones (mentioned here on Feb 17, 2014) is caused
> by a bug in the linux kernel concerning forking. NSD's model of reloading
> really tickles this bug:
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/8/15/765
>
> basically, forks take longer and longer and longer while slabs grow without
> bound until the inevitable.
>
> Andreas: are you running linux?

Will,

thanks for that information. I forgot that issue because I had some reboots
in the last months so the memory exhausting did not occur.

But: yes, I run linux: SLES 11, SP3
# uname -a
Linux dnsbl 3.0.101-0.15-default #1 SMP Wed Jan 22 15:49:03 UTC 2014
(5c01f4e) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Now I definitive know I have to restart NSD weekly...

Thanks
Andreas