[nsd-users] memory leak in 4.0.x

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Tue Aug 5 08:45:03 UTC 2014

On 05/08/2014 10:24, Will Pressly wrote:

> addendum:
> 1. this problem apparently started with 2.6.34.
> 2. In my last line that should have read: " but we definitely have to
> periodically *restart* NSD until this issue is addressed."

Very interesting. We have the exact same issue, and our symptoms are
also the same. We periodically have to restart NSD to alleviate server
load. Wouter Wijngaards and I have been trying to find the problem for
ages, and we both thought it was in NSD. I've been trying various
patches he made, but nothing has helped, and now it seems clear why,
because the bug isn't in NSD. Of course, NSD's frequent forking probably
makes this worse, and on our server with several thousand zones, the
zone refresh rate is quite high.

Anand