[nsd-users] Remote control a NSD3 server

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Thu Oct 3 21:44:36 UTC 2013

On 03/10/2013 23:22, Artom Lifshitz wrote:

Hi Artom,

[...]

> 3. Write my own script that accepts commands over the network, modifies
> nsd.conf and/or the zonefiles, and SIGHUPs the NSD daemon. This is the
> "default" if 1 and 2 are impossible. It could also be a stopgap measure
> until NSD4 is released.

I don't presume to speak for the NSD developers, but I know that NSD4 is
in a good state. I have been testing the beta releases, and am quite
satisfied with them. I know some sites are even using it on production
servers. I suspect and hope that there will be a proper release real
soon now.

If I were you, I'd just write some scripts to work with NSD3 for now,
and upgrade to NSD4 when it comes out. Don't waste effort back-porting
NSD4's remote control into NSD3. It will be more work than you might
imagine.

Regards,

Anand