[nsd-users] Using zonec to avoid O(N^2) complexity

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Thu May 10 13:10:24 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm managing a number of zones that may well grow, so I've
been trying to avoid running the complete "rebuild" command.
It seems wasteful to me to do that for all zones if it is
known that only a single zone changed.

Specifically, when combined with OpenDNSSEC which regularly
reloads its N zones into the daemon, and if each reload takes
N rebuilds, then the order of complexity is N^2.  And all
that could be overcome by being able to rebuild, import and
delete a single zone.

I've tried to use zonec for that purpose, but discovered that
this drops all other zones from the database.  It can be read
into the man page though, in retrospect ;-)

Is there a reason why this N^2 complexity is there?  With tens
of domains it is no problems, but what happens beyond thousands?

Thanks,
 -Rick