[nsd-users] cannot run nsd supervised

Toni Mueller support+nsd at oeko.net
Mon Feb 13 15:08:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 03:54:30PM +0100, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:
> I know. Upstart does exactly that. But Paul says that systemd forbids
> you from daemonizing, which is a different thing entirely, and which
> makes systemd incompatible with much more than just nsd.

I'm unfamiliar with upstart and systemd, but "good" daemon packages
provide an option that enables them to choose between the two operating
modes.

> If systemd were incompatible with only nsd, that would be nsd's problem.
> But if it's incompatible with many or even most services, then it's
> systemd's problem, not nsd's. (The upstart man page says "most").

That's imho a matter of time and convention.

I run only some of my services under 'runit', and the remainder using
conventional 'init.d' type start scripts. But I would prefer to run more
services from runit, and with less effort.

Kind regards,
--Toni++