[nsd-users] Suitability of NSD for ENUM

Rick van Rein rick at openfortress.nl
Mon Apr 16 07:46:02 UTC 2012

Hello,

I'm rolling out a registrar service for ENUM and wondering if NSD is
suitable for its special format -- rather long lists of labels in a
zone name and potentially a lot of small domains.  Scaling is what I'm
wondering about.

Did I understand correctly that the search for an RRset is done on
the entire label list (or name) requested?  So the special format of
names in ENUM is not special in any way?

The Memory Usage tool is great --even if it does not show NAPTR records--
but it does not take DNSSEC into account, right?  That could be a useful
addition to the tool?

If memory runs out, will NSD try to offload into swap, or is this left
to the OS?

This is wishful thinking of course... it'd be cool if ENUM would be a
scalability problem... but I'm looking ahead, and hoping to cause those
scalability problems in the years to come ;-)

Thanks,

Rick van Rein
OpenFortress