[nsd-users] reloading NSD zone configuration

Jan-Piet Mens jp at mens.de
Tue Feb 1 07:37:34 UTC 2011

Good morning,

On Tue Apr 28 2009 at 10:34:24 CEST, Jelte Jansen wrote:

> We are looking into it (if only because the question comes up about once a
> week now)

It's been a little more than a week since the question last turned up :)

I'd also like to know if any progress has been made to allow NSD to have
zones added/removed on the fly, somewhat along the lines of BIND's `rndc
addzone/delzone', perhaps?

Alternatively, can you confirm that a safe procedure for adding or
removing zones in nsd.conf remains as so:

1. Add/remove zone definitions from nsd.conf
2. nsdc rebuild
3. nsdc restart

I note that a `rebuild' signals a running NSD, but we've experienced
"can't bind udp socket: Address already in use" messages when doing so,
whereupon the server doesn't start up: "server initialization failed,
nsd could not be started". (NSD version 3.2.7.)

Will a rebuild also "patch", in other words, will it merge changes
received during AXFR/IXFR?

Thanks & regards,

        -JP