[nsd-users] CNAME from another zone

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Mar 11 09:23:48 UTC 2009

Hi Mohammad,

If you remove the SOA from the zonefile below, you'll probably get an
'RR before SOA skipped' error.

Mohammad H. Al-Shami wrote:
> Thanks Stephane,
>
> My current configuration is working properly. The thing is I'm trying to understand why this is happening.
>
> If I remove the SOA record still the same result. If I understood correctly, I can't add a CNAME record for the domain itself, tagiti.com in this case, but I can do www, ftp, ... etc.

That's correct. Because of the SOA record, you can't put a CNAME record
for the domain name of the zone. For every other domain in the zone, you
may add exactly one CNAME record. There may be no other records at that
domain, except DNSSEC related records.

Regards,

Matthijs Mekking
NLnet Labs