[nsd-users] Records below delegation point

Matthijs Mekking matthijs at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue Mar 10 10:27:55 UTC 2009

Hi Anand,

The way I read it is that zone.tld. is delegating the subdomains child
and sub.child. According to RFC 1034, only NS RRsets may appear at the
parental side of a zone cut. RFC 2181 clarifies that no data below the
zone cut may appear at the parental side.

The behavior of what to do with such a zone is undefined. NSD considers
this an operator error. Because of the explicit no end-user friendliness
requirement, NSD has not built in a detailed zone garbage detection.
As the result of the operator error, NSD behaves incorrectly.

Kind regards,

Matthijs Mekking
NLnet Labs