[nsd-users] NSD 2 in Debian

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Feb 27 16:12:58 UTC 2009

On Thu, 26 Feb 2009, Arnt Gulbrandsen wrote:

> Arnt Gulbrandsen writes:
>> I think the honourable way out of this rather unfortunate situation is be
>> to announce that NSD 2.x support stops on March 1, 2011, hope no security
>> issues turn up before then,
>
> request that everyone upgrade,

That's exactly what we tell people for openswan (2.4.x vs 2.6.x). If they
want to stay with 2.4.x, which is EOL, then we *only* do paid support.

> Standing by one's principles is very good. Asking people to make it easy is
> also reasonable.

We also make it clear that maintaining two trees takes development time
away from the latest tree, which is in no one's interest, provided the
old tree is stable, just lacking some features. Which seems to be the case
for nsd (and openswan)

Interestingly, the only people who still ask us about openswan-2.4.x are
people running debian. Debian was not sure what our version numbers meant,
and refused to upgrade even the 2.4.x series, despite the fact it was in
bugfix/maintenance mode only.

Paul