[nsd-users] nsd as bind slave (xfer problem)

Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. woods at planix.ca
Tue Feb 17 16:42:19 UTC 2009

On 17-Feb-2009, at 3:58 AM, Matthijs Mekking wrote:

> The reason for this is, is that it is required to re-read the
> configuration file. The decision was to not read the configuration
> file
> while running in order to minimalize security vulnerabilities.

While I don't see any really pressing need to change this behaviour, I
would be interested to learn of any real threats that have been
identified here and what risk has been estimated.

The worst I can think is that even if nsd is running chrooted then an
attacker could still easily force it to load an entirely different
configuration.  However I suspect the _additional_ risk there is
rather low so long as all the code to read and parse said
configuration remains in executable memory.  Even then the additional
risk is still relatively low since if the attacker can change
executable memory enough (and perhaps more than once) then anything's
possible.

The real question would be what could be gained by such a complex and
more difficult attack -- if the attacker can alter the running code
sufficiently, and their goal is to have the compromised program
continue to answer DNS queries, then they can make it answer with
anything they want without first having to find write-able filesystem
space in which to store the new configuration and zone files and then
having to make it jump through hoops to read those new files files.

--
					Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
					<woods at planix.ca>