[nsd-users] nsd as bind slave (xfer problem)

Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc. woods at planix.ca
Tue Feb 17 16:26:12 UTC 2009

On 17-Feb-2009, at 1:23 AM, Paul Wouters wrote:

> that's right. Adding/removing zones only take effect after a complete
> restart, not after a reload. I believe bind behaves similarly.

No, not for almost forever now :-) -- BIND-8 and newer will notice
zones that have been added or removed from the configuration upon
reload, regardless of whether they are primary or slave zones, and it
does all the right things with NOTIFY, etc., IIRC.

It is too bad NSD will not yet do the same thing.

However, since DNS is a distributed service it's not critical that any
individual nameserver remain operational 101% of the time.  Don't be
afraid to restart your authoritative nameservers!  Just remember to
stagger them a few minutes apart so that all the servers for a zone
are not down at the same time.  Of course if you operate all of the
authoritative nameservers for any given zone then I really hope you've
fully understood and implemented all of RFC 2182!

--
					Greg A. Woods; Planix, Inc.
					<woods at planix.ca>