[nsd-users] how can i find the reason?

Jelte Jansen jelte at NLnetLabs.nl
Thu May 22 14:07:48 UTC 2008

Farkas Levente wrote:
> hi,
> i'm just go though a few log files and found it in one of our nsd.log:
> --------------------------------
> [1211461152] nsd[12806]: error: xfrd: zone lfarkas.org received error
> code FORMAT ERROR from 193.131.100.7
> --------------------------------
> this is a secondary nsd server for lfarkas.org. the strange thing is
> that the primary also run nsd (so i assume the error is not in the zone
> file format since on the primary there is not any error in the log),
> while the above 193.131.100.7 is one of our isp's secondary dns for
> lfarkas.org (i don't know what they are using). i try to rise verbosity
> to 10, but no more info.
> how can found what is the reason of the format error?
> thanks.

193.131.100.7 seems to be running Bind 4.9, which is pretty old. I
haven't used or interacted with it so I'm not sure what it's
capabilities are.

The FORMAT ERROR seems to come as a reply to a query that is sent by
NSD. So if the actual error is logged at all, it will be logged on the
Bind machine, not on the one running NSD.

Chances are high that the reason for the error is that nsd uses IXFR,
and the master does not understand or support it, in which case you
could set the nsd.conf of the secondary to use AXFR for that zone.

You could also circumvent the problem by pointing the secondary to the
actual maser instead of another secondary, but then you'll still need to
set AXFR, since NSD does not support IXFR as a master.

Hope this helps,

Jelte