nsd-notify *from* specified IP?

Thomas Hühn t_huehn at gmx.de
Wed Sep 27 20:15:13 UTC 2006

Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2006, dr. W.C.A. Wijngaards wrote:
>
>> Please note that when you update the zone on the master - by providing
>> an updated zone file to the master, then nsd itself will detect the
>> change and send notifies to the secondary. However, to preempt your
>> question, that notify send also uses the default from address that the
>> system provides.
>>
>> NSD tries to avoid creeping featurism. So I am hesitant about new
>> features such as this one.
>
> It is essential on any multihomed nameserver. If you don't want to add
> more "features" in the config file, then at the very least, use the
> IP specified with "-a" for everything, becaues that's really want people
> want.

ACK.

As it looks now I will remove nsd and install something else because the
secondary (which I have no administrative control over) doesn't
synchronize (and a quite important zone update must happen).

> A very typical setup is to have machines with a "core" IP address, and
> then to have all services on the box on their own IP address, so that
> you can move services to another box without having to renumber
> the base IP of any of your boxes. It also allows for having multiple
> services on a box (eg dns and smtp) with their own ip, so you can
> still independantly move them to other boxes later on.

I am grouping several services depending on who is allowed to access them.

> So, IMHO, not feature creep, but basic functionality.

At least as soon as you allow binding nsd to an IP address (via -a)
which is sensible in any case. Sometimes it's not easy to control which
IP is deemed "default" by the system.

Thomas