Quick Config Question

Robert E.Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Wed Feb 22 17:00:20 UTC 2006

"David A. Coursey" <david at send2fax.com> writes:

> Hi, I have most everything set up correctly, but apparently I am missing
> something.  I can get to my mail servers fine, and the websites work
> fine as long as you include the hostname.  How do I get it to redirect
> to www if the user only types domain.com?

You have to put in a domain name in your zone file, viz:

@   IN   A  64.203.237.101

You can NOT put in a CNAME like this

@   IN  CNAME   www.dogsass.com.

because RFC 1034 sec 3.6.2 states:

   If a CNAME RR is present at a node, no other data should be
   present; this ensures that the data for a canonical name and its aliases
   cannot be different.

and you have SOA and NS records (at minimum, and probably an MX record
there too for good measure) at that node.

hope this helps!

                                        ---rob