Notify messages not sent by the -a ip address?

Erik Rozendaal erik at NLnetLabs.nl
Fri Mar 25 08:33:28 UTC 2005

Antoine Delvaux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've an NSD configured to listen on a virtual interface, launched with
> the -a flag.  I noticed that when sending out notify messages, this IP
> is not used as source address, NSD uses the main IP of the server instead.
>
> Is this wanted behaviour?  I guess not because the slave server doesn't
> seem to consider the notify message it receive, I suppose it's because
> it is not sent from the master server address.
>
> Or have I missed something?

The nsd-notify is independent of the nsd program so does not know about
any -a flags.  Right now there isn't much you can do about this, except
modify nsd-notify to first bind a socket to the virtual IP address and
then use this to send the UDP notify message.

Erik

PS I'll be gone the next couple of days for the Easter holiday and will
be back on Tuesday.