improving zonec performance on many zones

Robert E.Seastrom rs+nsd at seastrom.com
Tue Apr 19 12:10:41 UTC 2005

Erik Rozendaal <erik at NLnetLabs.nl> writes:

> In the future NSD will use a binary search instead here, so that
> should also solve this performance problem.

Don't forget to make sure it utilizes a balanced binary insertion
algorithm.  As I discovered in my own adventures, it's really common
to end up with zone lists that are sorted in some kind of order when
they are automagically created out of a database or by some sort of
other script.  Humans are deterministic creatures by nature, and the
world around them tends to get organized in some sort of way (even
unconsciously) and the resulting lack of randomness in the input data
stream tends to pessimize the performance of straight b-tree
algorithms.

                                        ---Rob