Suboptimal behavior from nsd

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Mon Jan 12 13:38:44 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 07:43:57PM -0600,
 Phil Howard <phil-nsd-users at ipal.net> wrote
 a message of 108 lines which said:

> You mean not followed in the authoritative sever?  The resolver most
> certainly needs to follow it.

It takes more time for the resolver, if it has to issue a new
request. It is not a matter of correctness (nsd is correct), but of
performance.

> But I guess you are asking why it is not supplied as additional
> data.

BIND supplies it in the ANSWER section (test on ns3.nic.fr). Do you
think a bug report should be sent to BIND's authors?

> Personally, if it were me, for a name in the _same_ zone, where the name
> being queried is the CNAME, and the query type is not CNAME, then I would
> "flatten" the answer and just give:
>
> www.nic.fr.             172800  IN      A       192.134.4.20

It seems a gross violation of the protocol.

> But I'm sure that breaks something I can't think of at the moment.

Testing tools like Zonecheck <URL:http://www.zonecheck.fr/> could no
longer tell if it is a CNAME (forbidden in RHS of some records) or an
A.